Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Gluten Free Mayo

I am trying to use extra virgin coconut oil for cooking purposes in the hopes that it will help my Mom's dementia.  We are starting Monday on a completely new diet and I plan on incorporating non-hydrogenated coconut oil into her diet as much as possible. Our family uses only one mayonnaise and that is "Dukes".  I have tried many mayo substitutes over the years but I think you will find this one will be to your liking.  And guess what?  No trans fats and uses oils that I believe are much more healthy for you.

I know what the oil industry has said about Coconut oil and it's health problems but recent research has shown that Coconut has many health benefits.  I will be writing a blog about that soon on my other blogsite.  Sharpshooter77.wordpress.com Here is a Gluten Free low GI mayo that will certainly help add coconut oil into your diet.

Gluten Free Mayo using Coconut Oil and Olive Oil

Servings: 1 1/2 cups
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil  (melted if solid)
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Place the eggs, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into a food processor or blender. Blend briefly for a few seconds.

I usually keep the blender/processor running on low speed.  I mix my two oils together and start adding them a few drops at a time.  Once you get started you can increase pouring until you slowly add to the mixture in a slow moving stream.  Take your time and don't hurry this process.  The mayonnaise will turn out better if you are patient.
Continue blending/processing  until all the oil is used up.  Make sure the oil is fully mixed before you stop the processing. 

Discussion of the Ingredients:

Eggs - I use free-range eggs.   Usually from our local farmer's market.

Mustard - You may want to adjust the mustard down if you are making something like Thousand Island Dressing.  

Sea Salt -  I am still trying to cut down on the salt used  but mayo is not the same without it.

Pepper - If you do not have white pepper feel free to use the black pepper.

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - I usually try to find the organic and make sure that I DO NOT use some form of coconut oil that is of the hydrogenated variety.  If it is Extra Virgin and organic it will not be hydrogenated.

Olive Oil - Again I buy the extra virgin variety. 

Comments:  If you use this mayo in Chicken Salad, and other recipe's you will find that it is a great mayo.  You can also use this to make a great many other salad dressings like Thousand Island Dressing, Ranch Dressing, etc.  Recipe's to follow soon.

Be Blessed and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment