Search This Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

Sothern Style Goulash - Gluten Free

This is my sister's recipe that she has made for years but I have recently updated this to make it Gluten Free and as low GI as possible.  It is very tasty and we all love it.

Recipe Ingredients:

This makes a large slow cooker very full.  So you can cut back on the ingredients to make it feed fewer people.
Feeds about 10 to 15 people

1 to  1 1/2 lbs hamburger
2 quarts of tomatoes
1 large bag frozen baby Lima's (about 32oz.)
1 large vidalia onion (chopped)
1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
1 16 oz package G/F noodles
1 TBLS sea salt
1/2 TBLS black pepper
1 TBLS garlic powder
3 bay leaves

Directions:

1.  Scramble hamburger meat with onions and bell peppers. 
2.  Put into slow cooker  the remaining ingredients except noodles and hamburger mixture
3.  Cook on  high for about 4 hours.
4.  Add noodles and continue to cook for 2 to 3 hours or until noodles are al dente. 
5.  Add Hamburger mixture and it is finished.
6.  Remove bay leaves before serving.

Discussion of Ingredients.
I keep frozen scrambled  hamburger mixture in my freezer  because I use it in so many of my recipes. 
I also use frozen organic tomatoes from my freezer.  I let them unthaw in slow cooker.
You may use any type of gluten free noodles - I try to select a low GI variety.  In the past we used Egg Noodles.
Hamburger can really be added in at any point.  I add it in last because we have vegetarians in our family and I take out some of the goulash before I add in the meat for them.
I keep the Vidalia onions in my freezer already chopped and ready to go.

Comments:
I think it was a big hit.  I cooked this on Sunday afternoon and there were 12 of us eating and it was wiped out before the day was gone.  I also made G/F corn muffins to go along with it.  Everyone seemed happy to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment