Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2015

Gluten Free Sweetened Condensed Milk - My way

I was thinking today why I started this recipe blog.  One of the reasons for me was very personal.  I wanted to keep my favorite recipes online and be able to find them.  I haven't done a very good job of recording them but I am working on it.  Here's one I think you might be able to use.  It is very basic to a lot of recipes. 

If you are like me, you have a number of recipes that would not be the same without sweetened condensed milk.  I just love the stuff.   To make it dairy free and healthier than  try making it from scratch. 

I must warn you that it might have a slightly brown sugar taste from the coconut sugar.  If you don't care about the calorie count or don't worry about the glycemic index then just use regular sugar.

Give it a try and if you don't like it,  leave me a comment and I will work on it.  If I don't have any canned coconut cream/milk on hand then I always have my unsweetened Almond/Coconut milk in the refrigerator as a substitute.  The regular Almond Coconut milk is a little more difficult to deal with as it may take a little longer to cook.   I store the condensed milk in the refrigerator until I am ready to use. 

Ingredients:

1 can (about 14 fluid ounces) canned (not low-fat) coconut milk or cream

1 cup coconut sugar
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Steps:
Place  ingredients in a medium-size heavy bottom saucepan.
Whisk to combine well and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.

Stirring the mixture, continue to simmer until it is reduced by about 1/2 and has begun to thicken (approximately 12 minutes).
Pour mixture into a heat-safe container until cooled completely.
Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator.
Try to use within 2 to 4 weeks.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment